Main Article Content
The deposition of paraffin wax from crude oil at low temperatures due to wax deposition, high pour point, high viscosity, and weak flow capability is among the critical and persisting challenges faced by the petroleum industry. In this study, a new para-decyloxy allyl benzoate (I10) was prepared, polymerized into HI10, and copolymerized with dioctadecyl maleate into MHI10 via the free-radical polymerization method employing azobisisobutyronitrile and toluene as the initiator and solvent, respectively. The prepared monomer was characterized by spectroscopic analyses (Fourier-transform infrared (FT-IR)) and proton nuclear magnetic resonance. Further, the polymers were characterized by
FT-IR, and their average molecular weights were determined by gel permeation chromatography. The prepared compounds were taken in different concentrations and then tested as flow improvers of Qarun waxy crude oil using pour point depression and rheological parameters. The results of this test indicated that MHI10 exerted the highest effect on pour point reduction and the rheological parameters (yield value and apparent viscosity). Moreover, an increase in the efficiency of the additives was observed after increasing their concentration from 1000 to 5000 ppm.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
Authors grant to the Publisher the following rights to the manuscript, including any supplemental material, and any parts, extracts or elements thereof:
- the right to reproduce and distribute the Manuscript in printed form, including print-on-demand;
- the right to produce prepublications, reprints, and special editions of the Manuscript;
- the right to translate the Manuscript into other languages;
- the right to reproduce the Manuscript using photomechanical or similar means including, but not limited to photocopy, and the right to distribute these reproductions;
- the right to reproduce and distribute the Manuscript electronically or optically on any and all data carriers or storage media – especially in machine readable/digitalized form on data carriers such as hard drive, CD-Rom, DVD, Blu-ray Disc (BD), Mini-Disk, data tape – and the right to reproduce and distribute the Article via these data carriers;
- the right to store the Manuscript in databases, including online databases, and the right of transmission of the Manuscript in all technical systems and modes;
- the right to make the Manuscript available to the public or to closed user groups on individual demand, for use on monitors or other readers (including e-books), and in printable form for the user, either via the internet, other online services, or via internal or external networks.
H.P. Soni, D.P. Bharambe, (2006)
M.d.C. Garcia, L. Carbognani, A. Urbina, M. Orea, Pet. Sci. Technol. 16 (1998) 1001-1021
L.V. Castro, E.A. Flores, F. Vazquez, Energy Fuels 25 (2011) 539-544
R. Hoffmann, L. Amundsen, J. Pet. Sci. Eng. 107 (2013) 12-17
F. Yang, B. Yao, C. Li, G. Sun, X. Ma, Fuel 199 (2017) 4-13
M. Sanjay, B. Simanta, S. Kulwant, SPE Prod. Facil. 10 (1995) 50-54
F. Yang, Y. Zhao, J. Sjöblom, C. Li, K.G. Paso, J. Dispers. Sci. Technol. 36 (2015) 213-225
S.M. Ahmed, T.T. Khidr, D.A. Ismail, J. Dispers. Sci. Technol. 39 (2018) 1160-1164
J. Qian, G. Qi, X. Ding, S. Yang, Fuel 75 (1996) 307-312
E.F. Jordan Jr, S. Smith Jr, R.D. Zabarsky, A. Wrigley, J.Appl. Polym. Sci. 22 (1978) 1547-1567
I. Ei-Gamal, I. Ei-Mansey, in, Petrochem, 1993.
A. Al-Sabagh, S. El-Hamouly, T. Khidr, R. El-Ghazawy, S.A. Higazy, J. Dispers. Sci. Technol. 34 (2013) 1585-1596
J.B. Taraneh, G. Rahmatollah, A. Hassan, D. Alireza, Fuel Process. Technol. 89 (2008) 973-977
A. Radulescu, D. Schwahn, J. Stellbrink, E. Kentzinger, M. Heiderich, D. Richter, L.J. Fetters, Macromolecules 39 (2006) 6142-6151
X. Guo, B.A. Pethica, J.S. Huang, R.K. Prud'homme, D.H. Adamson, L.J. Fetters, Energy Fuels 18 (2004) 930-937
A. Al-Sabagh, T. Khidr, H. Moustafa, M. Mishrif, M. Al-Damasy, J. Dispers. Sci. Technol. 38 (2017) 1055-1062
Y. Song, S. Han, T. Ren, Pet. Sci. Technol. 28 (2010) 860-867
F. Chen, J. Liu, T. Yang, S. Yin, B. Su, M. Xie, B. Dai, S. Han, Y. Xue, Fuel 268 (2020) 117392
A.M. Ashmawy, S.K. Attia, M.I. Nessim, E.S.M. Elnaggar, A.A. El-Bassoussi, Mol. Cryst. Liq. Cryst. 668 (2018) 78-90
R.G. Kadesch, J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc. 31 (1954) 568-573
Y. Yulizar, T. Utari, D.P. Ananda, Int. J.Technol. 7 (2016) 158-167
C.C. Patton, B.M. Casad, Soc. Pet. Eng. J. 10 (1970) 17-24
E. Joonaki, A. Hassanpouryouzband, R. Burgass, A. Hase, B. Tohidi, ACS Omega 5 (2020) 7124-7134
A.L. Machado, E.F. Lucas, G. González, J. Pet. Sci. Eng. 32 (2001) 159-165
A.L. Machado, E.F. Lucas, Pet. Sci. Technol. 19 (2001) 197-204
H. Li, J. Zhang, Fuel 82 (2003) 1387-1397
S. Battarjee, A. El-Azim, Egypt. J. Petrol. 6 39-52
T.J. Behbahani, Pet. Sci. 13 (2016) 155-166
L.M.S.L. Oliveira, R.C.P. Nunes, Y.L.L. Ribeiro, D.M. Coutinho, D.A. Azevedo, J.C.M. Dias, E.F. Lucas, J. Braz. Chem. Soc. 29 (2018) 2158-2168
A. Al‐Sabagh, M. Betiha, D. Osman, T. Mahmoud, J. Appl. Polym. Sci. 136 (2019) 47333
J. Xu, S. Xing, H. Qian, S. Chen, X. Wei, R. Zhang, L. Li, X. Guo, Fuel 103 (2013) 600-605.